Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Finding Mr. Goodbar - Pre-Production!

It's been 363 days since the birth of our Mr. Goodbar.  In that time we have gone through lots of turbulence flying the friendly skies of commercial production...

Birthday:  Sunspot's brilliant creative duo happened upon a milk chocolaty, peanut candy bar called Mr. Goodbar one day and were reminded how delicious the Hershey's product was.  Somehow this amazing taste sensation triggered an idea for a concept that just couldn't wait to burst forth.  I, being the purveyor of all things gigantic, desperately tried to put it on a shelf and push for strides in feature filmmaking instead. But it just wouldn't be.  We made a deal, spec commercial first to build our reel more, then the bigger picture.  Ok. Fine.  We were all itching to create something, anything so this was it.

After a couple months of squeezing in development of the project between day jobs and freelance gigs, networking and general business building, we had a campaign.  The idea created a human version of the chocolate bar and a series of funny and twisted situations (something that's quickly becoming our company's brand) perfect for Superbowl caliber commercials.

Pre-production began slowly.  I needed a co-producer to pick up slack when I couldn't be there to do it all.  One of the handful of people interested in working and building with us at this foundational stage stepped up to the plate and got the ball rolling.  I found myself constantly overseeing and checking in, desperately wanting to make things move faster than anyone had time for.

Speed and end results - the definition of me.

Senor co-producer started out strong. Researching, calling, setting up preliminary potentials.  I worked on gathering core crew...one of which was a locations manager I'd wanted to work with for a couple years and had started to work with on someone elses failed project a couple years earlier.  He seemed to know his shit and I loved how quick and focused he was.  I called him up to see if he'd be interested in helping us out for a small salary.  We're doing specs. I informed him, so no giant commercial budget behind us, what do you think?  He was interested but dropped a bomb by saying he worked for no less than $600 a day.  Giant number for a little production.  I told him I just needed someone to find two locations all the rest would be taken care of by me.  He didn't even have to be on set, I bargained.  He agreed to do it.  As we went along he started tacking on more hours and more money, wanting a large sum in advance based on the crappy production we had both been taken for a ride on last we worked together.  He wanted his money and knew I would sympathize so conversation after conversation he brought it up.  I explained over and over we weren't that production.  Finally I couldn't take it anymore.  I had laid the numbers out on the table and been totally honest on that first call to him for the specs yet it wasn't enough and I was beginning to rip clumps of hair out of my head.  I thanked him for considering and said it would be tough for us all to continue having repeat conversations on issues I had nothing to do with.  Several calls later he finally accepted he wasn't going to work with us.

Best financial decision I made, I have to say.

Back to square one I went.  Up to me to get those locations.  One of them was an LA county elementary school.  Senor came up with a list and the two of us spent a day wandering the communities looking for a delicious looking set at the request of our creators.  Along for the ride was young wife and toddler daughter.  No problem.  These things happen on low budget shoots and I did my best to accomodate without losing my cool.  We found a couple schools that seemed ornamental enough but never did get through the list as the day ended with a very sick and puking child in the back seat spitting up remnants of McDonald's french fries.  Sigh.  Back to square one again.

My daytime hours were taken up working on promoting a feature via internet and grassroots touring and we were rounding the corner on our deadline to shoot the spec commercials.  I pushed the date back and continued on my journey through the world of making it all work in the in between hours.  At this time an amazing and wonderful, can't-be-praised-enough intern of ours by the name of Patrina stepped up to the plate and hit a home run.  She found location two, a cafe, and pushed us in the direction of a tailor we needed for Mr. Goodbar's costume.  I was ecstatic!  At last.  At last.  A truly helping hand.  A focused beauty.  Awesome.  I was able to exhale for a moment.  But only for a moment.

Senor co-producer called me up to inform me that during our day together his dear wife had decided we were having an affair.  She had sensed tension and seen some kind of chemistry I never personally knew was there...mainly because it wasn't.  Sex was really the last thing on my mind in the midst of pre-production and certainly not with someone I had absolutely no attraction to.

I went back to holding my breath.

Ok.  So that's that.  I picked up the pieces and moved on.  Patrina became my right hand and moved up to associate producer for the production.  She handled props and calls and the cafe location, an awesome little restaurant called Vinoteque, like an absolute pro.  Oh hallellujah.  I worked on insurance, permits for the school, fees to the city of LA, the school itself, AND Film LA while checking on progress of the suit that had become an expensive venture, finding extras...child extras...setting up auditions, and finding core and random crew.  I found a 1st AD one of our Sunspot friends suggested to us and left scheduling in his hands.  In the meantime I went back and forth with Charles & Nick making sure we were on track and organized.  We're going to need 60 child extras at least, Trina, they said.  Haha.  Funny.  Uh, ok.  I think that we can make 30 look like 60 if we trick the camera but I'll see what can be done, I managed to reply.  We may have to hire paid child talent I think, said Charles.  (So far all of our talent were graciously volunteering their time and skills)  I scoffed.  Then blew the guy off.  We'll deal with it as we go.  Should be fine, I said.  Lord have mercy!  Is money not sacred to anyone???

Now, let me just say, I am an organization freak.  I want all bases covered, all loose ends tied, all plans secured as fast as possible.  In production it's all collaboration so there are many hours, if not days, waiting on others to come through.  Very nerve wracking at every turn for someone with my OCD.  However, I dealt with it.  By the final week before the shoot we had most everything in place.  Nick was taking care of getting his camera crew together, Patrina was so extremely on top of her game, and all seemed to be running smoothly.  Until one of the actresses we had picked and really liked became a bit of an issue at this time...not available for rehearsal, not willing to work on a Monday...which was the only day we had the location for.  In the end she was paid for her day away from work and we had to do without her rehearsing.  She seemed to have her role down but I'm sure her performance would have been much better had she been to both rehearsals. We just couldn't stop and audition for anyone else at that point so it was what it was.

So much for smooth.

A giant pet peeve of mine is lack of communication. I need to know what's going on and be responded to damn near immediately on every email, text and voicemail.  This is not necessarily everyone's production creed.  After a few days of no communique with the AD I finally got through.  How are you doing on the call sheet, my friend?  Oh, I don't do that until the day before, he said.  Hmm...well, let's get that ready now, 3 days away from shooting, and if there are changes we'll make them.  Ok! he said.  I received the call sheet the day before the shoot.  Got to be some grey hairs forming in my mane there somewhere about now...Oh, and how about the schedule?  Oh, I don't do schedules, he said.  I just make sure everyone is on set on time and move it forward.  Hmmm...uh, ok.  Well, if you can keep it moving then I'll trust your judgement.  I looked at my rough schedule and was glad I'd at least had the time to do that.

We needed a bright yellow sports car and for some reason it just wasn't happening.  It was the last piece of the puzzle yet no one could come up with one for less than something like $1000 a day or some ridiculous rate like that.  Between insurance, permits, and the Mr. Goodbar suit my budget was creeping up.  My suggestion?  Call regular rental car places.  Hertz, Enterprise, Avis.  And a good suggestion it was.  We ended up with a bright Yellow convertible Camaro for the budgeted rate from Hertz.  I won't deny I did a small backflip of celebration.

I went off to pick up the car while Nick and Charles conducted their last rehearsal.  Charles dropped me off and helped get the top down so I could drive in style.  I started that engine and became a new fan of the quest for oil.  Amazing.  That rumbling engine was nothing but power.  I cruised out to the 405 feeling like a bit of a douche.  I'm never one to want extra attention on the road or be an outward big shot so it took a minute to get used to.  Only a minute.  People noticed for sure and as I passed the normally rude and inconsiderate woman behind the wheel of an SUV I was shocked to find her politely get my attention to ask for directions to the 405.  I had forgotten the top was down and was shocked to hear an outside voice come at me.  She followed me out and I of course immediately hit traffic.  To my right, another voice.  I slowly looked over...Charles.  Laughing at my reaction to his calling out.  He had no idea how much attention this bee colored car was getting.  He drove on to rehearsal, traffic cleared, and the Ventura Blvd. exit came up.  Meh, why not?  Let's see what kind of attention I get driving down this road!  As I cruised people looked.  At a stoplight a group of 5 people, 2 dressed in what seemed like lederhosen, gawked as they walked passed.  The lederhosen twins waved and smiled.  This was too weird.  What friendliness money can buy.  Feeling great now I kept going.  Up ahead was a pick-up truck pulling away from the curb. I slowly came up behind it.  Reverse lights?!  I honked and tried to reverse as quick as I could.  Impossible.  The front end was hit.  Oh no.  Really?  Really?  No. Not true.  Yep. True.  The lady's husband rushed over first.  Then the lady, who said, "You're too low.  I couldn't see you!"  Of course.  Nevermind that she was backing into a red zone to begin with.  I refrained from exploding, looked at the front and saw no damage.  Ok. Cool.  I waved them away and went home as fast as possible. That car stayed parked in the driveway till the next morning of the shoot.

My phone rang as soon as I jumped out.  Patrina with bad news.  Her grandmother had passed away and she wasn't going to be available for the shoot.  Dammit on all fronts.  My right arm cut off and for a sad occasion.  She was so apologetic I felt terrible.  I reassured her all was well.  We'd do great.  She'd prepped everything amazingly well.  I then hopped in my car and drove out to Beverly Hills to pick up the props she had.  Patrina was fantastic with the props.  She thought of everything and more.  I couldn't thank her enough.  How lucky I was to be working with her! 

My easy day had become crammed and the camaro needed a bath.  Nick had a million loose ends to tie up and couldn't help at all.  Charles was the lucky guy.  He scrubbed and polished while I finalized paperwork, phone calls, and arrangements.  I had planned an 8 hour rest period but for gods sake it just never happens that way!  Midnight saw my head hit the pillow for a 4am call.  So much for organization....- TKS

To be continued....

1 comment:

  1. You're my kind of Producer. :)

    Communication is so important to me. Sometimes I feel like I'm pushing it too much, but when you don't hear from crew for days or a week, what are you to think?

    Anyway, I'm really enjoying this so far and hope for lots more to come.

    Take Care,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete